In Florida and all over the country, inmates housed in prison are living longer. This, in turn, causes health care costs to rise. According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the cost for health care for Florida inmates is $11.54 per day per inmate. Some states are releasing non-violent elderly prisoners early and some are releasing them to treatment programs not associated with corrections.
- 14,549 inmates are 50 or older.
- 3,303 inmates are 60 or older.
- 612 inmates are 70 or older.
- 70 inmates are 80 or older.
- The oldest Florida prison inmate at 90 years-old is Frank Rowland.