If you have been arrested for a felony in Jacksonville and enter a plea to a felony charge, you are entitled to a presentence investigation report, also called a PSI. The Florida Department of Corrections prepares these reports and they are to aid the judge in making a determination of a defendant’ sentence. These reports contain:
1. A complete description of the circumstances surrounding the crime
2. Information about the defendant’s criminal history
3. The defendant’s educational history
4. The defendant’s employment history
5. The defendant’s financial status
6. The social history of the defendant. (family, etc.)
7. Residence History
8. Medical History
9. The victim’s loss or injury.
10. The defendant’s criminal defense lawyer’s statement.
At the end of the report, the evaluator makes a recommendation to the court about the sentence. The judge can choose to follow the recommendation or not.