What rights do you give up when you enter a plea in a criminal case in Florida?

If you are arrested for a crime in Jacksonville or anywhere in Florida, there are several possible outcomes to your case. The state attorney’s office could drop your case because of a lack of evidence, your case could be sent to a diversion program (such as Pretrial Intervention), or the prosecutor can file the case against you. If the state files a case against you, you can have a trial and make the prosecutor prove the case against you, you can enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the judge, or negotiate a sentence with the prosecutor.

If you enter a plea of guilty or no contest, you give up certain rights. Those rights are:

1. The right to a trial by judge or jury
2. The right to be represented at trial
3. The right to have counsel appointed to represent you if you cannot afford to retain counsel
4. The right to present witnesses on your own behalf and to compel the attendance of those witnesses
5. The right to confront the witnesses against you
6. The right to require the state to prove the case against you beyond a reasonable doubt
7. The right to appeal all matters relating to the judgment, including the issue of guilt or innocence.

Contact Information